Monday, September 21, 2009

UnChristian?



So, what is next?  I have felt like this was just a start in looking at issues.  I have also had contact with folks who were reading along but did not respond due to the newness of this tool (figuring out how to sign in was new to many people).  I'd like to continue this discussion and have a couple suggestions:

1.  We could continue along on the same topic, but  (I think) a better approach with "The Like Jesus But Not The Church" by Dan Kimball.  Dan is a pastor and so he sees beyond the statistical approach of UnChristian.  Read more here.

2.  We could read another book today's church.  Here are some possibilities:

"The Tangible Kingdom" (Halter & Smay):  Funny, insightful and (I found it to be) helpful.  But these guys are not UM and so you'd have to do some translating. Read about it here.

"Dirty Words: The Vulgar, Offensive Language of the Kingdom of God” This is by a UM pastor and is very good.  Read about it here.

All three are worth reading.  I used the first one more than UnChristian when I did the sermon series; I have gone back to both Tangible Kingdom and Dirty Words even months after I read them.

So, let me know your thoughts about the next study and any closing thoughts on what your response to UnChristian is.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nicole,
    I'm sad I've been MIA in this discussion. School started in our area on Aug 10! Yikes!
    So I've been as busy as a one armed paperhanger doing the ceiling.
    I've appreciated your comments and insights and many times made notes in the book margins with thoughts to add.
    There's still so much unsaid about this book!

    Just one thought as we move to another book/focus. Perhaps we could have three or four "authors" to this blog and so spread the load? That way none of the authors would be under the gun to meet the deadline.

    What do you (and all of you think?)

    Terry VH

    ReplyDelete