Monday, September 14, 2009

Political

How do we talk about politics as people of faith?  Most of my experience hasn't given me many (any?) good models.

I remember being a new pastor in the Conference and going to some big Cal-Pac meeting.  A DS type person stood up as part of the meeting and said some words about a ballot message that was in the news.  He proclaimed something like, "We all think this way..."  and "Anyone who really follows Christ sees this topic this way."  At the time I didn't have any idea how I felt about the issue but at that moment I knew that I was at the wrong meeting.

Another confession.  I have a terrible dislike of Annual Conference when it gets political.  I am especially bothered when someone who is very tradition/conservative/right leaning says something at the mic and everyone around me makes noises like, who thinks like that?


How do we bring our faith to our politics and do it in a way that is thoughtful and humble?  Any ideas?

4 comments:

  1. The problem we have with politics in the Church centers around our approach which is way too impersonal. Far too many want to snipe from a distance rather than get up close and personal in a wrestling match. In sniping you don't have opponents you have targets. At least in a wrestling match you know you are dealing with someone who is a real 3 dimensional person with strengths as well as weaknesses not some 2 dimensional caricature with a bulls eye you've painted over the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I find there being an approach that de-humanizes people and that has made me uncomfortable. Yesterday I was listening to a podcast and the speaker said that she was lecturing and someone brought up the topic of abortion. She found there to be an immediate change in the room--the mood changed and not for the better. Her response was to invite everyone to sit in silent prayer for 3 minutes before the discussion. She said that as people spoke their sharing was much more real and no one was attacked. I like that model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a very similar experience with a DS making statements as if everyone agreed with his/her position when they were in a position of authority and in that position made it apparent that no-one would disagree with them.

    Leaving that situation behind, it became very apparent that from my earliest seminary experiences that all students think alike and if you made a challenge, you were ridiculed, ostracized and it is possible that your grades might be effected in certain classes.

    A resource that I am looking at right now has been developed by Adam Hamilton. It is called "Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White." He has a book, small group study guide, DVD sessions etc...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found that it is necessary to get involved in public policy in order to help achieve justice; however, I think that no one person or party or point of view is enough. I think we all have a lot to learn from one another, and I, too, find it distressing when civility and mutual concern fly out the window.

    I also find it helpful for my own process to understand that for some people, personal holiness is of primary concern (that is, chastity/celibacy, etc.), and for others, social holiness is of primary concern (for instance, non-exploitation of the poor). Both are needed.

    I have seen over and over again, however, that left unchecked, our public policy decisions favor the rich and powerful at the expense of the common good. I would hope we could all find ways to speak up and act for the good of all.

    ReplyDelete