Sunday, November 17, 2013

ReJesus-- Michael Frost & Alan Hirsch - Chapter 7 by Rev Brian Parcel

Jesus' Community:
        will follow the example of Jesus
        will equip all followers
        will move outward to serve others
        understands that worship is a whole-of-life exaltation of Jesus
        practices the presence of Jesus
        insists that we need to be continually re-evangelized
        learns and lives the values of Jesus
        devotes itself to scripture and the exercise of spiritual gifts

Sound refreshing?  Compelling?  Good News?  Michael Frost and Alan Hirsch assert that this description of Jesus' Community in fact is THE Good News, gleaned right from their reading of the Gospels.  They claim this kind of community would develop naturally from people who followed the example and teaching of Jesus and left behind dry, obsolete and hardened rituals and ways of the church. 

I must admit, some of the language of Re-Jesus smells of the the all too familiar "right" reading of the Biblical text and "right" theological view that is espoused all too frequently in the Christian church.  I do find it quite ironic that almost all the 'little Jesus'' that are highlighted within Re-Jesus are people who were formed by the very church of ritual and domestication that the authors are proclaiming needs reformation.  Despite these reservations I cannot help but to be drawn to the list above.

That is the life I want, I want it for my kids, I want it for my church, I want it for the community I am called to serve as a pastor.  I find the reminder that Hirsch and Frost are giving to us refreshing and necessary.  It is good to rethink Jesus considering where we have added our baggage to the seminal character of all history.  It is a must from time to time for all of us, individuals and the Church to step back and inspect where we have read our lives into the story of Jesus and covered the values of God evident in the life of Jesus with our own.

Whenever I do this, including now as I read this book, I am reminded of the same scathing critique of the Church -- the Church never seems to get it right.  The Church has always insisted, throughout history, for orthodoxy that does not necessarily conform to Christ but always conforms to the Church.  I think though, in my own life and ministry, I have become bored with this realization, argument and critique.  Of course the Church never gets it right because the Church by nature is an organization and the primary purpose of every organization must be to preserve the organization at all costs.  The argument then always turns to a movement versus an organization, but this does not work all that well either because every movement that has legs and lasting power must also organize itself for the good work it is about and thus another organization is born.  So, an organization is bound to fall short and a movement (at least one worth joining) is bound to turn into an organization......so what's left?

In the moments of life (brief as they may be) that I align my life....my ministry......my discipleship with Jesus I am reminded of the same simple truth -- Jesus always cared for the next individual in his path, and then the next, and then the next.  I have come to believe that the only part of Christianity that can truly be Christ like on a regular basis is the individual disciple of Jesus Christ.  Yes they are moments when we get it right as a team or a church or The Church, but those are moments, fleeting at best.  But an individual, that is a different story.  As a local church pastor I am always looking for signs of the real Jesus and seeking the continuation of the redemption story we find in the meta narrative of scripture.  Most often i don't find it in the work of the organized Church, rather I find it in the lives of the individual disciples who make up the church. 

I see individuals develop relationships with others who are inexplicably different in every way and yet a bond is grown that mirrors the sacrificial living for others of which Jesus was so good.        

I see individuals who give of their time, talent, finances and so much more in a way that it is clear they don't just understand but are living the Jesus lesson about heart and treasure.

I see individuals exhibit a grace to others, that I can only hope to attain someday, and yet I know this grace ought to be the striving of my life because this is the grace of which Jesus taught and with which he lived.

I was just reflecting the other day amidst an All Saints Service how fortunate and blessed I was to have known the stories of the people who's names were being read amidst this annual ritual of the church.  To some in the room they were the beloved and to others they were just a name in print but as the pastor I had a special view into their lives.  In the same way I count it a great blessing that I get to hear and experience the behind the scenes stories of how individuals in my congregation became little Jesus' for a moment in their lives.  The Church rarely seems to accomplish this incarnational nature, but the people of the church so often surprise me in the ways they become God incarnate for the other.  So while I share the angst of Frost and Hirsch over the state of the Church I am also humbled to see the many individuals who make up the Church living in real, relevant and powerful ways that bring the reality of Jesus to fruition in the lives of so many.  In the end I cannot help but to find hope.

-- Rev. Dr. Brian T. Parcel is a husband, father and Elder in the United Methodist Church and a graduate of the Claremont School of Theology (M.Div, D.Min, 2002).  Over the past 14 years he has served as Lead Pastor of three congregations in the California Pacific Conference, all three having experienced multiple factors of growth under his leadership.    He has also provided leadership for clergy training opportunities through the Board of Congregational Development and the Board of Ordained Ministry.   


No comments:

Post a Comment