Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Chapter Five ReJesus by Katie Kevorkian


For as long as I can remember my family has had the same nativity scene that went on display day after Thanksgiving and went back into the box on New Year’s Day. When I came home from college, I was surprised and thrilled to see that it looked quite different.

With an empty nest and no one to stop her, my mother had painted the Holy Family. The once pale white, blue eyed and blonde haired family now looked a little more like ancient Jews.

I was the child of the closest thing to a mixed race family that I knew for most of my life. My Armenian father, with his olive skin and dark features, is part of the less than three percent of people who are identified as not Caucasian in our small New England Community (really, that is what the pie chart says). My mother, a native Vermonter, identifies with the other 97%. I was somewhere in the middle, even though I looked like a white kid and enjoyed the same lifestyle and privileges as most of the population. When there is very little diversity, it is easy to pick out who is different.

I knew there was something that wasn't quite right about the nativity set for a long time, at least since I had some idea about the connections amongst geography, race and ethnicity. My father's family was decidedly not white and blonde, and Armenia looked like it was pretty close to the Holy Land on a map. Thus, I decided that Jesus must have looked Armenian. I like to think that I wasn’t that far off, but looking Armenian and being Armenian became very intertwined in my mind.

"If our conception of God is radically false, then the more devout we are the worse it will be for us" (Kindle loc 2170).  I thought first of the Westboro Baptist Church when I read this, and then Islamic Extremists. But I wondered how we can avoid being radically false. So much of our conception of God comes from our own experience- and where else would it come from? We can only imagine our God from what we know. The dinner table conversation from Talledega Nights was funny, because it is an over-the-top version of what many people do: The beautiful blonde Holy Family, Jesus as a loving father, or even viewing "Self as God" (loc 2314) (or Armenian as God, in my case).

The Shema prayer is a practical way for Christ-followers to ground ourselves in the one-ness of God amidst a society and culture that demands worship as consumerism, and value based on possessions. Lavishly decorated churches equal respect for our faith and our God, and success is measured in wealth, possessions and appearance. When we value things, God is not at the top of the pyramid, as in Hirsch’s drawings, or all the lines are squiggly and confused. We lose direction.

Valarie Kaur, an interfaith leader and civil rights lawyer, told the story of her faith journey at a youth program I helped coordinate. As a child and teenager, Valarie felt out of place with her Sikh family and Indian heritage. While singing Christian hymns with her vocal coach, she said, the realization of the one-ness of God washed over her, and she understood how to live her faith, to fit into the Sikh faith in a place where she was a minority. The one-ness of God that she was proclaiming through a hymn granted her the understanding of faith that would allow her to produce a documentary film, obtain a law degree, and now travel the world to speak about peace building and religious tolerance.

I recognize that Valarie's story is not a Christian one, but it was one of the most powerful testimonies that I had ever heard in the subject of faith and works. The recognition of the one-ness of God can be life changing; though we are told that God is One, though we profess that belief in the best of times, Christmas rolls around a few months later and we begin to worship the things we don't have, the things others have, the things we want. Of course, Christmas isn't the only time of year that we consume, but we see consumerism with much more intensity in November and December.

Questions: How do you experience the One-ness of God?  If God is One how does that change what it means to be created in God’s image and likeness?  


-Katie Kevorkian is a young adult leader and the Field Coordinator for Imagine No Malaria in the Cal-Pac Conference. Learn more here: https://www.facebook.com/imaginenomalariacalpac

No comments:

Post a Comment