Wednesday, June 23, 2010

16. Living Among


I commute to my church--an hour--each way.  It was a family decision two years after we moved down to Rancho Santa Margarita.  So in 4 years we had moved down here and then moved back (we moved back onto the same street we had moved from--). It was a lot of stress and chaos and not too fun for anyone (me, my husband and son, our church, his job). So while I have thought about this topic a lot, I really think about it even more now.  Sometimes I feel bad, but mostly I offer myself grace and recognize that life is complex and as much as we wanted to stay, it didn't end up that way.

What does it mean to be incarnational in a community of people, a community of the church?  The authors says this,"The third habit of incarnational people: the habit of living among, means participating in the natural activities of the culture around you, with whimsical holiness."  and  "What if whimsical holiness is simply 'being like Jesus...with those Jesus would have been with.'?"

For me, even as a commuter it means going to various special occasions, sitting with families in surgery waiting rooms, taking my turn planting or painting on Saturdays at the church.  Also Facebook helps me feel I am part of various lives, present even when I may be hanging out with local friends.

One time I went to visit someone who had attended the church I served- he had come for about a month and then stopped showing up.  I went to his home and he showed me his motorcycle.  I could not help but noticed that wallpapered on all four walls and the ceiling were posters of nude women.  As he handed me a beer, he talked about what God meant to him in the midst of his changing life.  Certainly this was one of the most memorable pastoral calls I have made, but what I really loved about it was just how comfortable he was with me/the church in his life/home.

This weekend I will spend my Saturday planting around the church (we have a Memorial Labyrinth going in).  It will give me a chance to meet some new folks (community people are part) and get to know others more casually.  And Saturday's experience will make Sunday worship just that much more real.

How are you incarnational in your local church--do you practice whimsy and holiness?    - Rev. Nicole Reilley

1 comment:

  1. When I lived in Santa Monica, the parsonage was two doors down from the church. I loved it- back and forth all day from home to office or church.And in that beach community, I was often barefoot! The opportunity to live and be in the community made me happiest. For instance, one of the Main St. restaurant owners suffered a heart attack, and even though he did not go to church, he called me as his pastor.

    Now, I live in a beautiful home five miles from the church community. It's a different neighborhood completely. My family likes it, but I find it is not as easy to get involved in the community around the church.

    Perhaps our new Cal Pac pedometers will help me to walk the community more often.

    For me, thinking of a 'parish' (as in geographic area) and not just a 'congregation'(as in a group of Methodist members) is a more natural way to pastor. That includes the other faith communities-- including other UM churches. I love the collaborative possibilities of this way of ministry.

    The trade off is that the folks in the community see me in many situations and roles (out with family, hanging in casual clothes, having a beer, whatever) and so it's not the same as just being present in my Pastor role. It's more human, and therefore I have to be humble and own my humanity.

    I suppose that's where the whimsy can help! Whimsical gives holy a playful sensibility.

    One day, our church plans to sell their beautiful home and house their pastor in a condo that is walking distance from the church building (when we get one!)

    Then it really will be a parish ministry in a whole new way!

    ReplyDelete