Wednesday, May 12, 2010

13. The Hello Experiment

This chapter is a short transition as we turn to exploring the four practices of leaving, living among, listening to, and love with no strings attached.  Living out of these ways enables us to be in the right posture as we seek to share the gospel with others.

I turned to chapter 14 to remind myself what "leaving" was and was hit with guilt--  how far I have to go here--I will be the first to admit it, I spend too much time in the office.  What about you?  How do you deal with the demands of life and work while still being out in the culture making friendships?  How have you found the time and focus to do so?

-Rev. Nicole

1 comment:

  1. (Ummm?? ... "All pastors eat muffins." (~chap. 14 intro.) Really? I'm graduating tomorrow with an MDiv. from CST and I didn't learn that anywhere ... sigh ... But maybe this assumption does offer us insight into the well-known "pastor muffin-top middle" that we DID learn about ... and some of us get to experience, even!)

    ###

    I guess for me, as far as "leaving," this is the part that comes naturally. I admit that I like to keep my office neat, and my ducks in their proverbial rows, and that this leaning of mine lends itself to more time behind the computer than I would like. But I also know that I am happier and more grounded when I know where my ducks are. So, I make peace with it by understanding this as part of who I need to be, in order to be who I am called to be in the "leaving" -

    And now for this leaving ... I'm a proficient, talker, and HIGH "E" ... so getting out there, well, is part of my gift. I love people, and I love connecting with them in all sorts of hands-on ways ...

    Where? Well, I do it alot in lines waiting for things at stores, at the train station, with our little girl in line for the toddler swing or slide at the park. Getting my haircut. With our little girl's ballet instructors. I guess that I see almost every engagement I'm in - off and on the church campus - as a means to be who God called me to be - and to hope that my life is a witness to that call. (?)

    Time? For me, I don't make scheduled time for it. Maybe I should? I do it as and through who I am.

    Focus? Maybe it's because I'm a "part-time" pastor and a "part-time SAHM" that I have the time? Maybe this is one more reason for us to consider pastorates that are teams of people, or the one pastor having a "job" in a non-church setting? Less emphasis from the church structure on administrative tasks and more emphasis on the "leaving?"

    ReplyDelete