Tuesday, February 2, 2010

4. U-Haul


I went to my new appointment full of hope and excitement.   I felt called to this congregation and was excited about what I knew of them. 

Of course,  you know how these things go: things turned out differently than I expected.  The church was in crisis mode and had been for a while.  Leadership was unsteady.  Staff was most all gone.  Bills couldn’t be paid the month after I got there. 

But I didn’t want to see it.  Because the one thing I didn’t want to do in my next church was a revitalization.  But here it was and I was faced with the question, OK so now what am I going to do?

I share this because sometimes we think, if I go to another church things will be better there, it won’t be so hard, the hours won’t be so long and people will be more friendly.  I do understand that there are bad matches between clergy and laity but in general I am a firm believer in the idea that the best congregation you are ever going to get is the one you are in now.   So learn to love them and join with them in listening for God.

Change is brutal.  It is much easier to just do what we always have and pray there will be enough for some young pastor in 10 years to turn around.  But my sense is there won’t be and those of us who are willing need to do this work now. 

Even if you have a lot of Milos and Mittens—.(I loved that story…). 

Even if you have no idea what to do first.

Even if you don’t think you have it in you.

So….what are the essentials needed to turn the church toward relevant, life changing discipleship?  What do we need to let go of in our own ministry to put our attention on these essentials?  What will you do to care for your own soul in the midst of the hard work of change?  

6 comments:

  1. I'm reading and shaking my head up and down...yes, yes, yes...and would like to add that sometimes, no matter what we do, the brutality of change comes completely down on us. One of the things I've been learning (becoming more aware of is maybe a better way to say it) in my new appointment is to "relax" a little, not be so intent on taking on the difficult things so fast that no one can adjust. Of course the problem with that is we are too often put into situations where the clock is ticking...we MUST create revitalization or else! I mean, the letter I had from the DS said come up with a plan for renewal OR discontinuance by January 1. I only had SIX MONTHS TO LIVE!!!!! Well, we came up with a plan (took three years) and then it all unraveled in a moment. There is lots more to the story but that's not for this post. What I'm trying to say is I agree that we need to take a good look at where we are and say, "This is where I'm going to be." It takes time to effect change. Time is our most important ally in this process. We need to use it wisely and trust the process it allows. I'm here to stay (knowing, of course, I don't have final say, but it's important to at least think this way I think)so I can think long term about how we can bring about renewal. If this takes years instead of months I'm OK with it.
    On a funny note, we have a Milos and Mittens, Cole and Snow, who had to be boarded when we moved here...for THREE MONTHS! When we got them they were SO grateful for us rescuing them they have been completely changed, transformed, the most wonderful cats one could imagine. Who knew!? (Maybe the real moral of the story of Coal and Snow is we need to board our congregations for some months...and look for the transformation!!)
    Shalom, Salaam, Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you might have a really good idea there. But I wouldn't go with boarding congregations but with boarding pastors. (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is significant how readily both clergy & laity accept the UM template of boards & committees as the predominate way clergy & laity work together. I always considered that template a good start but limited.

    What would happen if a pastor decided to form a more robust partnership with the 8-10 most spiritually mature people in the congregation? Spent time praying, studying, dialoging with these folks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book hacked me off, depressed me, and gave me hope. Hacked me off because it is the book I wrote in my mind some years ago but did not put into practice.
    Depressed me because, having tried to transform pre-existing congregations with an almost 100% failure rate, my personal integrity is questioned (by me) in providing chaplaincy ministry for pay to what I know is not the future form of the church. All the while my heart challenges me to get out of the established church structure in order to participate in real transformative ministry.
    It gave me hope in that there are some things that can be done from the base of the pre-existing church that may lead to the kind of community I think God is calling into being. I am in a new appointment and have not had a chance to fully implement a strategy, but we are beginning to do a couple of things to that end. One, is that I have talked to my new music director and we are putting a plan together to transform our choir into a community choral group that also provides music to the pre-existing congregation on Sunday. It is a way to increase the overlap between the music group and the greater community by giving non-church folk a place to sing both secular and religious music while being exposed to some of our folks, perhaps breaking down some barriers on both sides. Our music director is a young adult and has taken to the idea with enthusiasm.
    Secondly, we are just establishing a young adult program that will be based off campus and will encourage non-churched friends to be a part of both regular gatherings and especially outreach activities.
    One thing I am convinced of is that in trying to “save” the church we have been losing it. Our pre-existing churches need to die to themselves in order to be saved. Sounds almost Biblical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve, what a great response - glad to hear the book is pushing and pulling on you. I think this stuff is so hard, and I agree, much of the saving does make our churches lose. I do think one of the best approaches is growing an additional congregation alongside the current one so your ideas sound great. I am also finding, it is important to cultivate joy in my own life as I do this work. So, are you having fun (outside the church stuff which can be fun too)? Today I got to spend time with Kat Gara, now that was fun!

    ReplyDelete